Email: Email Me
Lesleigh Monahan transitioned to “of counsel” status with our firm on May 1, 2019, after twenty-five years of partnership. Ms. Monahan shall continue to focus her practice on complex property division and spousal maintenance issues in high asset and higher income divorces.
Ms. Monahan received her Juris Doctor degree from the University of Colorado School of Law in 1987.
In three out of the last four years , (2016, 2018 and 2019), Ms. Monahan was the recipient of the “Lawyer of the Year” award for the Denver area for her work in Family Law by “Best Lawyers in America”. Only one attorney per practice area per metropolitan zone is granted this distinction. She has been listed in “The Best Lawyers in America” for sixteen years.
The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers has proffered an AV rating on Ms. Monahan for the last sixteen years. Ms. Monahan has repeatedly been recognized as one of Colorado’s top 50 Super Lawyers® & top 100 Super Lawyers® and as one of Colorado’s top 25 and top 50 women lawyers on the Colorado Super Lawyers® list. Since 2015, Ms. Monahan has been named by 5280 Magazine as one of Denver’s “Top Lawyers” in Family Law. She was admitted as a Fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (“A.A.M.L.”) in 2004 and was President of the Colorado chapter in 2011/2012.
Ms. Monahan was Chair of the Family Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association in 2002/2003 and was a long time officer on the Executive Council of the Section. Former Chief Justice Kourlis appointed Ms. Monahan to the Supreme Court Standing Committee on Family Law Issues in 2002, where she served for six consecutive years. She was appointed in 2007 as the Co-Chair of the Family Law Section Task Force on Family Courts. Ms. Monahan served as the Vice President of the Colorado Bar Association for the Second District in 2009-2010. Ms. Monahan served as Chair of the “Best Practices” Committee, which was formed by the Colorado Chapter of the A.A.M.L. to analyze and improve Uniform Case Management of Domestic Relations Cases in Colorado.
Ms. Monahan enjoys skiing, golfing, fly fishing and hiking with her family and their Labrador Retriever. Her volunteer activities include mentoring University of Colorado School of Law students, and providing supportive relationships to peers in the Colorado Lawyer Assistance Program.
Bachelor of Arts with Distinction, University of Colorado, 1983 Juris Doctor, University of Colorado School of Law, 1987
ADMITTED TO BAR:
1988 10th U.S. District
Polidori, Franklin, Monahan & Beattie, L.L.C. – Partner, 1996 – Present Polidori, Gerome, Franklin and Jacobson – Associate, 1989 – 1996
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND ASSOCIATIONS:
- Chair, Colorado Chapter (2011-2012)
Colorado Supreme Court Standing Committee on Family Issues (Appointee)(2002-2007)
- Vice President (2009-2010)
Colorado Bar Association Family Law Section
- Chair (2002-2003)
- Family Court Task Force Co-Chair (2007-2009)
- Executive Council (1993-2004)
- Legislative Committee (2005-2007)
- Amicus Committee Chair (1996-1999)
- Judicial Education Committee Chair (2003-2006)
- Pro Bono Flying Squad Committee Co-Chair (2003-2006)
The Colorado Lawyer
- Co-Editor, Family Law Column (1996-2000)
First Judicial District Judicial Nominating Commission (Appointee, 2006-2012)
Colorado Judicial Institute (Member)
HONORS AND AWARDS:
Lawyer of the Year – “Best Lawyers in America” (Colorado/Family Law – 2016, 2018 and 2019)
Top Lawyers/Family Law Specialty in 5280 The Denver Magazine (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019)
- One of Colorado’s top 50 lawyers (2006, 2008, 2009, 2010)
- One of Colorado’s top 100 lawyers (2017 – 2019)
- One of Colorado’s top 25 women lawyers (2006 – 2011)
- One of Colorado’s top 50 women lawyers (2012, 2015 – 2019)
Listed in “The Best Lawyers in America” (2006-2019)
Listed in “Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers” (2011 – 2019)
COLORADO BAR ASSOCIATION FAMILY LAW INSTITUTE:
- 2015 (Vail)
Divorce, Disability and Dementia “…Not So Happily Ever After…”
- 2008 (Breckenridge)
Family Court Task Force Update
- 2007 (Breckenridge)
Trustworthiness of Evidence: Demystifying the Offer of Proof, Voir Dire, and the Residual Exception to the Hearsay Rule
- 2006 (Breckenridge)
The New Sworn Financial Statement
- 2004 (Steamboat)
Common Law Marriage and Putative Spouses Bench/Bar Panel – 50/50 Parenting Time Debate
- 2003 (Steamboat) Co-Chair Planning Committee
Bench/Bar Panel – High Conflict Parental Disputes and Alienation
- 2002 (Snowmass) Co-Chair Planning Committee
- 2001 (Breckenridge) Planning Committee
Bench/Bar Panel – Removal Under the New Statute
ADDITIONAL SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS:
- December 2017 (Denver) A.A.M.L./CLE in Colorado, Inc.
Advanced Family Law Institute: Duty to Opposing Counsel and Duty to Report Violations of the Rules of Professional Conduct
- December 2015 (Denver) A.A.M.L./CLE in Colorado, Inc.
Advanced Family Law Institute: Balancing the Clients Interests with the Best Interests of the Child
- December 2014 (Denver) A.A.M.L./CLE in Colorado, Inc.
Advanced Family Law Institute: Third Party Intervention in Divorce: Who’s In Charge Here Anyway
- December 2012 (Denver) A.A.M.L./CLE in Colorado, Inc. Advanced Family Law Institute: Civility Matters
- April 2012 (Denver) CLE in Colorado, Inc.
Family Law Spring Update: Preparing Evidence for Trial
- September 2011 (Colorado Springs) AAML Faculty
Colorado State Judicial Conference
Complex Property Division Issues: Business Valuation, Trusts and Tracing Separate Property
- February 2011 – 2018 (Denver) CLE
Family Law Basic Skills in Colorado Initial Client Information
- December 2010 (Denver) A.A.M.L./CLE in Colorado, Inc.
Advanced Family Law Institute-Chair/Planning Committee
The Financially Complex Divorce: Effective Use of Experts and Judicial Perspectives
- December 2009 (Denver) A.A.M.L./CLE in Colorado Inc. Advanced Family Law Institute: Evidentiary Principles
- October 2008 (Barbados, West Indies) 23rd Annual Lawyers Public Information Seminar Successful Strategies and Ethical Considerations for Settlement of Domestic Relations Matters
- September 2008 (Breckenridge) Colorado State Court Judicial Training/A.A.M.L. Family Law Attorney and Expert Witness Perspective on Property Division
- June 2007 (Denver) CLE in Colorado Inc:
Bench/Bar Panel – Do’s and Don’ts in Domestic Trials
- September 2006 National Institute for Trial Advocacy: Modern Divorce Advocacy Pilot Project
- December 2005 (Denver) A.A.M.L./CLE in Colorado Inc.
Advanced Family Law Institute: Relocation: Case Law Developments
- February 2005 (Denver) Colorado Bar Association Family Law Section Domestic Relations Update: New Rule 16.2
- December 2004 (Golden) First Judicial District Bar Association Domestic Relations Update: New Rule 16.2
- December 2004 (Denver) A.A.M.L./CLE in Colorado Inc.
Advanced Family Law Institute: It Ain’t Over ‘Til It’s Over: Post-Decree Matters
- April 2001 (Denver) CLE in Colorado Inc.
Health and Life Insurance in Domestic Relations
In Re the Marriage of Connell, 831 P. 2d 913 (Colo. App. 1992)
Not selected for Official Publication:
- In Re the Marriage of Doke, 06CA2149, Colorado Court of Appeals
- In Re the Marriage of Roth, 00CA115, Colorado Court of Appeals
- In Re the Marriage of Modglin, 97CA242, Colorado Court of Appeals
- In Re the Marriage of Budwig, 95CA1139, Colorado Court of Appeals
- In Re the Marriage of DeMaio, 94CA1820, Colorado Court of Appeals
- In Re the Marriage of Connell, 87CA0682, Colorado Court of Appeals
Practice limited to Family Law since 1988.
Divorce consultation and representation with an emphasis in complex property division and financial matters such as business valuation, professional practice valuation, family trust and inheritance, real property, and spousal support (maintenance/alimony).